Tuesday, October 18, 2011

DIY Heart Crayons

     There is nothing like a brand new box of crayola crayons.  They look so pretty all nice and sharp.  Pretty soon that box of new crayons becomes a box of dull crayons, broken crayons, not as fun to use crayons. :)   I had a plastic shoebox full of these used and broken crayons so I made them new again by making chunky crayons.

     I found this cute heart tray at Ikea for a few dollars.  I peeled the crayons I wanted to use and broke them into pieces that would fit in the hearts.  I kept the color families together because I can't stand the color you get when random crayon colors all mix together.  After I took this picture I actually added a few more crayon pieces to each section.  When they melt they will shrink down.
The next step is to put the tray of broken crayons in an oven at 250 degrees.  I checked mine every 3-5 minutes to see how they were melting.  It took about 15-20 minutes for the crayons to fully melt.
 (I don't know why blogger is posting this picture sideways...)

After the crayons cooled I just popped them out.

Fun new crayons!

These would be great to give as a Halloween treat for your child's class or tricker treaters (if you don't get a ton of trick or treaters) as an alternative to candy.  I think mine will become Christmas gifts for the little ones on my list. :)

Parties I link to:

4 comments:

Unknown said...

So cute Jen!

Anna said...

Such a cute idea! Thank you for linking up at the Weekend Warrior!

Anna
www.askannamoseley.com

P.S. I will be FBing and Pinning this. :)

Jenny @ Simcoe Street said...

These crayons are the cutest! What a great job :)

Jenny

www.simcoestreet.blogspot.com

P.S. If you are interested, i have a giveaway for adorable kids/nursery room art that is ending tonight. Come check it out if you'd like :)

Redfly Classroom said...

Such a good idea. We have so many crayons laying around, we are going to have to try it.

Became one of your followers to keep up on your other great projects.

If you get a chance you'll have to stop by my blog sometime.

Melissa
redflycreations.blogspot.com

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails